Saturday Engineering Enrichment and Discovery (SEED) Academy
The SEED Academy application for Spring 2019 is now open!
Student applications were due: November 9, 2018
Teacher recommendations were due: November 16, 2018
Saturday Engineering Enrichment and Discovery (SEED) Academy is an academic enrichment and career exploration program for public middle and high school students from Boston, Cambridge, and Lawrence, Massachusetts who have a strong academic record and interest in science and engineering. To learn more about the SEED Program, please visit our homepage at oeop.mit.edu
All educational, admissions, and food costs are generously covered by our funders; the only monetary cost is for travel to and from MIT.
(Please note, bus transportation is provided for Lawrence students )
During the Spring 2019 semester, SEED Academy will meet on eight Saturdays. All SEED Academy days begin at 10:00 AM and end at 3:30 PM unless otherwise noted. The dates for Spring 2019 are published at oeop.mit.edu/programs/seed/program-details.
To be eligible for SEED Academy, applicants must be:
- Boston, Cambridge, or Lawrence public school students
- Boston, Cambridge, or Lawrence residents
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents with a valid green card
- Currently enrolled in 7th, 8th, 9th, or 10th grade
Students selected for SEED Academy generally have the following qualities:
- Passion for science, technology, engineering, and math (This can be demonstrated through extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation)
- Strong academic record (There is no minimum GPA to apply. Students are expected to maintain a B average in school throughout their time in SEED Academy)
- Underrepresented in science and engineering (Defined as being African American, Hispanic/Latino, or Native American)
- Underserved (Defined as coming from low socioeconomic means, which may be indicated by qualification for free/reduced price lunch)
- Potentially the first family member to attend college.
Jump start your future in science and engineering at MIT!
For more information about SEED Academy, please visit oeop.mit.edu/programs/seed.